Friday, August 6, 2010

Time of Wonder


I depart for Bangladesh today. This time in Maine has flown! Sometime during my 27 hours of travel, I will write Part II of my lastpost, which will hopefully be a helpful description of the Asian University for Women and of my anticipated job duties at the AccessAcademy.

For now, though, Maine is in my heart and on my mind and I'll attempt to share a bit of the wonder of this past month spent at home. As I prepare to leave, I hear over and over the echoing of Robert McCloskey's words in my favorite children's book, Time of Wonder...
Take a farewell look at the waves and the sky.
Take a farewell sniff of the salty sea.
A little bit sad about the place you are leaving,
a little bit glad about the place you are going.
It is a time of quiet wonder- for wondering, for instance:
Where do hummingbirds go in a hurricane?

We have a hummingbird at our house in Woolwich, Maine. He graces us with his fluttering presence while we eat our sunset meals on the deck overlooking my mother's perfected gardens in
the woods.

We had some delicious meals this summer,
and I'm desperately hoping to have a very usable kitchen in Chittagong to carry on the culinary adventures.
This meal to the right was one I made for the family after being inspired by my roommate Elise's kitchen creation this past spring.
An Israeli couscous and arugula salad with lemon-garlic-rosemary grilled chicken:





Other highlights of my farewell month in Maine have included lots and lots of sailing on the Eleanore - my grandfather's award-winning design of a wooden Cape Cod catboat.
Jess, Elise, David, Meghan, and I enjoyed quite an adventurous bout in a strong northwest wind. We were thankful to have my brother David, our experienced and calm captain, at the tiller.

Then there was some hiking: Baxter State Park with David, and Camden hills with the whole family...


3 comments:

  1. :) I. Am a lucky girl to be living so close to JFK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. christa thorpe! you are quite a woman! i love your outlook on life. so excited for your adventures in the desh. love, stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christa...I love reading your blog. Enjoy your time in Bangladesh! I think of you often. -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete