Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I'm here!

I arrived safely in Bangladesh at 5am Sunday after a fairly smooth 30 hour trip from Maine to New York to Kuwait to Dhaka.
This will be a quick post, because I'm headed off to visit Children's Uplift Program (CUP) - a ministry to street women and children in Dhaka, run by Beth Jennings, daughter of James and Diane whom I've been so fortunate to stay with this first week in Bangladesh.

When my plane first lifted over the Casco Bay, leaving Maine, I wept for the Atlantic Ocean. Over a day later, when the wheels of Kuwait Airways flight 283 touched the pavement in Dhaka, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Yes, I thought, this is where I want to be.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds very much like your Time of Wonder book. The sadness and the gladness...

    I remember those feelings when I went to Assam...so sad about what I was leaving, and then when I arrived SO inexpressably happy about where I was. It is a wonder how our hearts can hold such intense emotions, and emotions that seem to contradict each other.

    I am thrilled for you and envious of you and thinking of you often! Looking forward to any snatches of Bangladesh you can share through this blog. Love you sister!

    Moriah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but think that this is the start of a wonderful adventure...

    ...and is there such a thing as a "smooth" 30 hour trip? :)

    We are all praying for you.

    -Scott Cho (for the clan)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time of Wonder is one of my favorites too.

    "You snap off the light and row toward the dock as the stars are gazing down, their reflections gazing up. In the quiet of the night one hundred pairs of eyes are watching you, while one pair of eyes is watching over all."

    I'm not sure what one pair Mr. McCloskley meant, but I know how I've always thought of it... "The eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him." (2 Chron 17:9a)

    Thinking of you and praying for you!

    Luise

    ReplyDelete