Monday, November 1, 2010

calling Khun Paw

How is it already November?!
I admit that I'm a little overwhelmed by long days at school, losing inspiration for creative lessons, getting behind on grading, watching a student cry over a solid "C" on midterm exam...
Without doubt, my days have been joyful and full of interesting stories, but I do wish I could find more time to write about them. But instead of buckling down for long narratives during these busy days, I'll post a few snippets during my morning cha (tea) time, before I get back to grading...
Last night I used google call phone to call my Thai host parents from the semester when I studied abroad in college. It had been three years and needless to say, "Khun Paw" sounded rather shocked to hear my voice. It was an interesting conversation, as he doesn't speak a lick of Engish, and at 80 years old, his hearing is a little weak. But I managed to communicate my exciting news to him - that I will be in Chiang Mai in two weeks!
Tanja and I have decided to meet up again before she heads back West.

My conversation with Paw, translated to English, went something like this.
"Sawat dee ka, Khun Paw, this is daughter Christa"
"Chi-taa! Where are you?"
"I'm in Bangladesh"
"Where has daughter been? Where did daughter go? Maa and I were so sad that we didn't know where you were."
"I'm really sorry, Paw, I missed you both much much. I'm coming to Thailand in 2 weeks! Do you still live in Mae Rim?"
"Yes, daughter, we still live at street 5, tambon Maesa."
"I'll see you there in 2 weeks! Is Mom well?"
"Yes she's well."
"Ok. See you in 2 weeks!"

So I'll try use the remnants of my Thai language to be able to get Tanja and I from the train station (after we do the overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai) to my host parents' for a bizarre reunion. Even in my convo with Paw, the Bangla was creeping in quite a bit. My brain's poor Broca's area is going to be getting quite the work out, but I'm looking forward to the time to reconnect not only with the language, but the hills, the culture, the food, the people, and Tanja!

5 comments:

  1. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eun-it I wish you come with me!!! srsly, flights from NY to BKK can't be too much these days - one week of song taew's and Pii Top and laughter would totally be worth it :) I can't wait to skype with you about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely looking forward to that conversation sista :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness! christa! i'm so excited and slightly jealous! have fun...eat some good food for me and say hello to that beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. trisha i'm hoping to hike Doi Suthep and i'll be thinking of you the WHOLE time! btw - are the veldts still there?

    ReplyDelete